Monday, August 08, 2005

Google Bombing For Darwin

I never heard of this before, but I ran into it at Skeptico's site and my inclination is to assume he knows what he's talking about. Here's the story per Skeptico:

Post something on "Intelligent Design" … which links to the authoritative statement by the National Center for Science Education, which I've linked to here by way of illustration. This way when those genuinely seeking information start Googling, they'll get to the
right place.

If you’ve never heard of this, the Google bomb is (in this case) an attempt to place the National Center for Science Education’s excellent "Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists page at the top of any Google searches for the phrase Intelligent Design”. If you have a blog or other web site, what you need to do is use the phrase “Intelligent Design” as a hyperlink to the NCSE’s paper the way I have. If enough people do this, because of the way its algorithms work, Google will return the NCSE’s paper at the top.

I think that says it all, and I've done my part. Yeah, it may seem a little bit silly, but sometimes it's the small things that mean the most.

1 Comments:

Blogger waxwing said...

I am familiar with Google bombing and astroturfing (both terms defined at a wondeful web site called WordSpy).

Great idea!

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home